UK Temporary Work Religious Worker visa

UK Temporary Work Religious Worker visa

 You can apply for a Temporary Work - Religious Worker visa if you want to do religious work in a non-pastoral role or religious order and you meet the other eligibility requirements.

You’ll be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months, or up to 28 days more than the time on your certificate of sponsorship. You may be sponsored for a shorter period.

This visa has replaced the T5 (Temporary Worker) Religious Worker visa.

➤ You must be 18 or over when you apply

➤ You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship

➤ You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job

➤ Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK, 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

➤ You must have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor before you can apply to come to the UK to work. A certificate of sponsorship is a unique reference number that holds information about the job you’ll do and your personal details. It’s not an actual certificate or paper document

➤ Your sponsor must be recognised by the UK government to issue certificates of sponsorship

➤ The work you do in the UK must relate to your sponsor organisation’s work

➤ The application fee for each person applying is £259. The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK

➤ You must pay the healthcare surcharge, which is usually £624 per year

 You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK. You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa

➤ You do not need if you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months

➤ Your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270

➤ Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours. £285 for your partner, £315 for one child, £200 for each additional child

 You can apply to extend your Temporary Work - Religious Worker visa

➤ You must have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

➤ You’ll need to provide a criminal record certificate.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

study - for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate

work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship

do a second job in the same sector at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week outside the hours of your main job

do a job on the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week outside the hours of your main job

bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible

You cannot:

get public funds.