UK Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa

UK Temporary Work Government Authorised Exchange visa

 You can apply for a Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange visa if you want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme or if you have have a sponsor and You need to meet the other eligibility requirements.

You can stay in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months (depending on the scheme you’re applying for) or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter. You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job

This visa has replaced the Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5).

➤ You must be 18 or over when you apply

➤ You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship

➤ Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within, 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK, 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

➤ You need to have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed sponsor before you can apply to come to the UK to work

➤ Your sponsor can be aan organisation running an approved exchange scheme, a higher education institution (if you are a sponsored researcher, visiting academic or examiner) a government department or agency

➤ Your work, training or research in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation

➤ The application fee for each person applying is £259. The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK

➤ You must pay the healthcare surcharge, which is usually £624 per year

➤ You must have enough money to support yourself in the UK - you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa

➤ Your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270

➤ Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they’re eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours. £285 for your partner, £315 for one child, £200 for each additional child

➤ You can apply to extend your Temporary Work – Government Authorised Exchange visa

➤ You must have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

➤ You’ll need to provide a criminal record certificate.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

study (for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate)

work in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship

do a second job for up to 20 hours per week

do a job on the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week as well as your main job

apply to change (‘switch’) to a Global Talent visa if you’re in the government authorised exchange scheme for sponsored researchers

bring your partner and children with you as your ‘dependants’, if they’re eligible

You cannot:

take a permanent job

get public funds