UK Temporary Work Charity Worker visa

UK Temporary Work Charity Worker visa

 You can apply for a Temporary Work - Charity Worker visa if you want to do unpaid voluntary work for a charity. This visa has replaced the Temporary Worker - Charity Worker visa (T5).

You can stay for up to 12 months or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter. You can enter the UK up to 14 days before the start date of your job.

➤ You must be 18 or over when you apply

➤ You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the day you are due to start work in the UK. This date is listed on your certificate of sponsorship

➤ Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

➤ You must have a certificate of sponsorship from a licensed employer before you can apply to come to the UK to work

➤ The work you do in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation

➤ Application fee, the application fee for each person applying is £259. The fee is the same whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.

➤ You must pay the healthcare surcharge, which is usually £624 per year 

➤ You must have  enough money to support yourself in the UK - you’ll usually need to have at least £1,270 available (unless you’re exempt)

➤ You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK. You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for this visa

➤ You don't need that money if you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months

➤ Your employer can cover your costs during your first month in the UK, up to £1,270

➤ Your partner and children will also need to prove they can support themselves while they’re in the UK. £285 for your partner, £315 for one child, £200 for each additional child

➤ You must have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

➤ You’ll need to provide a criminal record certificate.

What you can and cannot do

You can:

study - for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate

work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship

do a second job in the same sector at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week

do a job on the Skilled Worker shortage occupation list for up to 20 hours per week

bring your partner and children with you, if they’re eligible

You cannot:

receive any payment for work

take a permanent job

get public funds