Germany Research Visa

Germany Research Visa

 Researchers are third-country nationals who

1. have a doctoral degree or a suitable university degree that allows access to doctorate programmes and

2. have been selected by a research institute and are allowed in the national territory of a member state

3. in order to engage in research for which such a qualification is normally required.

Note: This includes doctorate students unless they are enrolled at a German university to complete a full-time study programme leading to a doctoral degree as their primary activity.

If you are taking part in a full-time study programme, please read the information sheet Visa for doctorate students.

 Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act

 Valid and personally signed passport – issued within the last 10 years, with at least 2 blank (visa) pages.

 Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport

 Residence permit in your country

 Proof of address, e.g. valid driver’s license, utility bill, lease

 Signed research agreement or relevant contract with a German research institute (original and two (2) copies).

The research agreement/relevant contract needs to contain certain information.

 Proof of qualification: Proof of doctoral degree or university degree that allows access to doctorate programs (all pages, original and two (2) copies). If your university degree does not state the courses you studied, please also submit your transcript.

 Written commitment to cover costs emerging for public agencies up to six months after the end of the admission agreement (original and two (2) copies) – this is not required if the work of the research institute is primarily public funded or if there is a specific public interest.

Proof of adequate financial means


To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 947 € per month if they are not entering into a contract of employment. Proof of these financial means can

be provided through the admission agreement/relevant contract. If a contract of employment is planned, proof of the statutory minimum wage of 1,655 € must be provided. When submitting an application, proof must be provided of financial means for the entire duration of the stay.

In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account: Open the blocked account in good time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation, which does not include this information, is not sufficient.

 Proof of housing in Germany incl. full address (e.g. rental agreement, hotel reservation or invitation letter in case of private accommodation with name, full address and passport copy of the inviting person)

 Proof of adequate health insurance cover

Health insurance coverage is required at the time of entry into Germany. Usually statutory health insurance coverage provided by the university or future employer only goes into effect when you take up residency and enter into employment/begin with your studies.

If you enter before, an additional private (travel) health insurance in line with EU standards (covering the entire Schengen area, minimum coverage of 30,000 €) must be purchased for the duration of time until you begin your employment/your studies and

are covered through the statutory health insurance. Please ensure that your travel health insurance does not exclude protection if a long term or permanent stay is planned.

 Adults: 80 EUR Children 0-5 years: free Children 6-12 years: 40 EUR Children 12 years and older: 80 EUR