Germany PhD Study Visa

Germany PhD Study Visa

 Foreign doctorate students who have been accepted at a German university for a doctorate or a doctorate programme on a full-time basis can apply for a visa for doctorate students in Germany. If the doctorate is being completed as part of a contract of employment or a research agreement with a German university or research institute, you can apply for a visa for a research stay.

During your studies, you can take up student jobs to help cover your expenses.

Upon completing your studies, you will have the opportunity to look for a job.

➤  Two (2) fully completed and signed applications including declarations pursuant to Section 54 Residence Act

➤  Two (2) recent biometric passport photos

➤  Valid and personally signed passport – issued within the last 10 years, with at least 2 blank (visa) pages

➤  Two (2) uncertified copies of the data page of your valid passport

➤  Residence permit in your country

➤  Proof of address, e.g. valid driver’s license, utility bill, lease

➤  Notification of admittance to study for a doctorate or for a doctorate programme (original and two (2) copies)

➤  University qualification (original and two (2) copies). If your university degree does not state the courses you studied, please also submit your transcript

➤  Curriculum vitae with one (1) extra copy

➤  Letter of motivation with one (1) extra copy

➤  Proof of adequate financial means


To stay in Germany the applicant must have at their disposal at least 861 € per month. Proof must be submitted with the application of financial means for at least one year that is at least 10,332 €.

In the case of financing in the form of a blocked account: Open the blocked account in good time BEFORE you apply for a visa. When applying for a visa, only the official confirmation of the opening of the account including information on the amount paid in and the amount available per month will be accepted. A confirmation, which does not include this information, is not sufficient. 

➤  Proof of adequate health insurance cover

Health insurance coverage is required at the time of entry into Germany. Usually statutory health insurance coverage provided by the university or future employer only goes into effect when you take up residency and enter into employment/begin with your studies

If you enter before, an additional private (travel) health insurance in line with EU standards (covering the entire Schengen area, minimum coverage of 30,000 €) must be purchased for the duration of time until you begin your employment/your studies and are covered through the statutory health insurance. Please ensure that your travel health insurance does not exclude protection if a long term or permanent stay is planned

➤  Adults: 80 EUR Children 0-5 years: free Children 6-12 years: 40 EUR Children 12 years and older: 80 EUR